Wednesday, May 20, 2009

VMB Introduction and History

In order to understand the story of the virgin monk boy I must first give you a little history. First off, this is a true story, however names and places have been changed to protect the innocent and the NOT so innocent :-)

This is a story of a spiritual seeker who tried to avoid sexual relationships in his quest for spiritual enlightenment only to discover that his apparent conquest of "sexual thoughts" was really just a circumcision of consciousness.

This journey started back in 1999 with my initiation into the Gelug tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. By saying "my initiation into...." I am referring to taking my bodhisattva vows and receiving a series of empowerments from a qualified Tibetan Llama. Anyhow, after several years of effort I was still attacked wtih lustful thoughts and occasionally lost the life force. During this time I was also struggling with Christian archetypes wanting to come up. I learned this is quite common among western converts to Buddhism.

A good friend who was an Adept with a magical Christian Kaballah group suggested I take up the Jesus prayer and integrate that with some of the guru yoga meditation practices I was taught from Tibetan Buddhism. This worked very well, so well I became a lay Eastern Orthodox monk. By the end of 2003 I had overcome lustful thoughts completely. By the end of 2005 I had complete dispassion for the opposite sex.

Looking back I would disagree with that and say I had only managed to destroy a part of my own being and even violated Orthodox Church cannons by starting the long slow process of mentally castrating myself.

Ok, so this brings the Virgin Monk Boy up to 2006. I stilll feel I need at least one or two more transitory posts before introducing the reawakening stages that Sister R brought in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment